Thursday, March 19, 2009

Egg Layers

Egg Layers:
I don’t know if I told you about getting some chickens last summer. Well, we did. We have a chicken house with a bunch of Rhode Island Red laying hens. They just started laying this spring. They lay those nice brown eggs everyone raves about for flavor and using in baking home made bread and cakes and the like.

Last week I decided I needed boxes out there in the chicken house for those hens to put their eggs in, because they were just laying eggs anywhere on the floor.

I went off to the local hay, grain, feed and hardware store, bought some egg boxes and brought them home. I took my time and figured out where would be the best place to set out these new egg boxes. I tried to place them about where I knew the hens had been laying eggs over the past few days. I figured if they laid eggs there before, they must like that spot and will lay eggs there again.

I was satisfied that I had provided boxes for the girls, at least enough boxes that there shouldn’t be much shoving and pushing by the hens for their turn to lay. Thinking here a minute, I’m not sure if hens do a lot of shoving to get to the where they want to lay an egg. Oh Well.

I was looking forward to seeing how the boxes would be accepted, so the next day, about 4 pm, which is about the time I usually go to gather eggs, I headed to the chicken house.

Proudly, I walked in to check on the success of my addition to the chicken house. You know, those dumb hens didn’t lay one egg in one of those boxes. There sat six perfect good boxes, big enough to hold a dozen eggs each and not one notch had an egg in it. I’m taking the rest of those boxes back to the feed and hardware store tomorrow.
Leroy

No comments: